Today I tried Kajjikayalu, a traditional Andhra recipe mainly prepared during the festival of Ugadi. This recipe is pretty simple and easy to make. Kids will love its yummy taste.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Serving: 4 members
Maida/ all-purpose flour – 1 cup
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Baking soda – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Grated coconut – ¾ cup
Sooji/ rava – ½ cup
Sugar – ½ cup
Cardamom powder a pinch
Roasted cashews – few
1. In a large mixing bowl, add maida, ½ tbsp ghee, baking soda and salt. Add warm water and knead into a soft dough. Let it rest for 1 hour.
2. Heat remaining ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, add grated coconut and roast it for few minutes until it turns golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
3. Now roast sooji in the same pan for few minutes until it turns light brown. Remove and allow it to cool.
4. Mix sugar, cardamom powder, roasted coconut, sooji and roasted cashews. Now the filling is ready.
5. Form small balls from dough and roll into a puri. Place the filling in the center and fold over to the opposite ends. Press the ends firmly so that the filling does not come out while frying.
6. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry them till golden brown color.