Khaman Dhokla is a savory steamed cake, very healthy recipe. It is a famous snack sold on every streets of Gujarat. The texture will be so soft and spongy, it can be prepared within 25 minutes. This very delicious Guajarati snack is prepared from gram flour / besan flour. The combination of fluffy dhoklas with crackled mustard seeds and fresh coconut will give heavenly taste.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Curd – 1 cup
Water – 1.5 cups
Gram flour / besan flour / kadalai maavu – 1.5 cup
Sooji / rava – 2 tbsp
Ginger and green chili paste – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Eno fruit salt – 1 ½ tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Asafetida – a pinch
Curry leaves – a spring
Green or red chili – 2
Coconut – 1 tbsp
Cilantro – few
1. Make a smooth paste of ginger and green chili in a blender and keep aside.
2. In a large bowl, Take curd and water, mix it well. Add salt, sugar and turmeric powder and give a good mix.
3. Add Gram flour and sooji to it, mix well without any lumps. Now add the ginger and green chili paste to it.
4. Now add Eno fruit salt and give a good mix. The batter will be frothy, don’t rest it for long time, and immediately pour the batter in a steaming tray.
5. Steam it for about 10 to 12 minutes. Allow it to cool, remove dhokla from tray and make into pieces.
6. Heat oil in a pan, temper it with the ingredients given under “To temper”. Pour it on the dhoklas.
7. Garnish with coconut and cilantro. Serve hot.