Idli and Dosa are the most common breakfast item in South India. It is very easy to prepare and highly comfort food which is very easily digestible. Idlis are prepared by steaming the batter making them very healthy and very light. The combination of idli and dosa with sambar and chutney gives a tasty meal. It takes couple of days to prepare, but at the end, it’s absolutely worth the effort.
Soak time: 7 hrs
Prep time: 30 mins
Ferment time: 10 – 12 hrs
Cook time: 10 mins
Idli rice – 2 cups
Urad dal – 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
Water – as needed
Salt – as needed
1. Wash the urad dal and soak along with fenugreek seeds for 6 to 7 hrs.
2. Wash the idli rice and soak for 6 to 7 hrs.
3. Drain the water and grind the urad dal with enough amount of water to a smooth consistency.
4. Pour it into a big vessel to ferment and raise.
5. Grind the rice with enough amount of water till smooth. Add this to the urad dal batter.
6. Add enough amount of salt and mix with your hands till everything well blended.
7. Cover and allow it to ferment in a warm place for about 10 to 12 hours.
To make Idlis:
1. Add water to the fermented batter and mix well.
2. Spoon a laddle full of batter into the idli plates and steam for about 10 minutes.
3. Take out the idli from idli plates, sere with sambar and chutney.
To make Dosa:
1.Heat tawa, pour 1 laddle full of batter and spread evenly.
2. Drizzle enough oil over it and cook until its golden in medium flame.