Do you want to cook something special for your family? Think about a spicy karuvadu kuzhambu and curd rice, yummy right.. I bet there is no alternative to beat this combo. My husband loves karuvadu kuzhambu and I learnt this recipe from my mom. I made this kuzhambu without adding tamarind to try a different taste and it came out well. Those who are not a big fan of tamarind can try this recipe in your home.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Dried fish / Karuvadu – 30 pieces (I used Nethili)
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Garlic – 2 pods, chopped
Shallots – 20 – 25, Chopped
Green chili – 3, slit
Tomatoes -3, chopped
Raw Mango – 1/2
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Chili powder – 2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 3 tsp
Salt to taste
Water as needed
1. Clean the dry fish and soak in hot water for 10 mins. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in an earthen ware pot, Add mustard seeds, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and saute for a min.
3. Add in garlic cloves, Onions and green chilies. Saute till they turn translucent.
4. Add in tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy. Now add raw mango and saute for 2 mins.
5. Add in all the spice powders and saute until the raw smell disappears.
6. Add in water and bring it to boil. Add in dried fish and simmer for 10 mins.
7. Taste to see if you need salt and adjust it. Serve hot